Monday, July 2, 2012

Stay Determined!


Marilyn and I came across this sad situation when we were headed down Van Brunt to another address. As we drove past we saw this dog trying to smash herself into the little bit of shade she had and was panting frantically. We turned right around and pulled up at this house. We banged on the door, no one was home. The pit had absolutely no water and it was over 100 degrees that day. She was very aggressive so we scooted some water over to her that she drank for minutes. We fed her too, she was pretty hungry. She was in rough shape. She had scars all over her body, some open wounds on her face, and she looked like she had been bred to death! We filled her water container to the top and decided we needed to call animal control on this one.

As long as an animal has food, water, and shelter, animal control usually says 'no violations'. Since we had filled her water to the top, I waited until Tuesday morning to call animal control. I explained the situation in great detail and said someone needed to go there that day because she probably doesn't have any water. That evening, at 10:30 pm an animal control officer called me saying he was the night shift and was getting to calls that didn't get finished during the day. No one had been to see this poor girl. He told me he was on his way to check on the situation and assured me things would be taken care of. 

The next day, Wednesday, I sent Marilyn and Eleanor back out to this address to see what had happened, if she was still there, and if she had water. Yet again, this girl had NO water and was roasting in the sun. I was so upset! I called animal control back and asked what the report said from the officer who went out. All the report said was that the dog appeared healthy and that a note was left on the door because no owner contact was made. The case was CLOSED! I was furious! How could they close a case like this? This dog was going to die if something wasn't done. 

Friday afternoon I had plans of heading over to this address, calling animal control, and waiting for them to get there. On my way there, Fox 4 called wanting to do a story on us about how we are helping animals in this horrible heat. The light bulbs went off! I met the camera woman at this address, and of course, the dog had NO water again! I showed all this on camera and told the woman I was going to call animal control. She said she would stick around! When I called in the call, I told them I had the news with me and I wanted some action done to help this dog. An animal control officer was at this house in less than five minutes and a supervisor was there in less than 10! No owner contact had ever been made, so they decided to seize the dog. THANK GOD! The supervisor told me this isn't the first time this dog has been taken in to animal control...

It took determination from all the volunteers at Jade's Mission, with the help of the news to get this girl out of the heat. I realize her fate at the shelter isn't any better. She is a very aggressive dog and has had a really rough life. But it is better to die quick and painlessly than to die of heat stroke and dehydration. Since this is the second time this poor girl has been taken in by animal control,  I hope it's her last. I hope she never has to be thirsty, hot, starving, or bred ever again. We will be following up every so often on this address to make sure more dogs don't have the same fate as this girl. Thank you so much for the support so we can be out there helping animals like this one.









 

2 comments:

  1. Poor little girl! i'm so saddened by the fact that animal control left her in such a horrible circumstance. Do you know how she's doing at the shelter? i've been hearing KCMO shelter is having some issues as well, including the departure of their adoption coordinator over problems with the new management.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know her fate at the shelter wasn't going to be good either. But we had to think that being euthanized is an easier death than death by dehydration and heat stroke. It's very sad.

    ReplyDelete