Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Queenie

We were driving from one address on our list to the next when we noticed a very petite beagle chained in the front yard. This is usually how we find more animals that need help, just simply driving from one address to the next, we come across 5 more animals that need help. This beagle was at a good weight, but didn't have a dog house, so we decided to stop and see what was going on. We talked to a woman that lived there and found out that the beagle's name is Queenie and she was only a year old. The woman said that Queenie lived outside all the time unless the weather was really bad. I talked to her about shelter for Queenie and she said she couldn't afford a dog house, but Queenie could get under the porch. Queenie also wasn't spayed. 
 We found Queenie on just our second day of outreach. We didn't have the money, but I offered to get her spayed for free. The woman didn't have the money, she was taking care of her grandchildren, on top of having a dog. I just couldn't think about what would happen to poor Queenie only weighing 15lbs if a big, stray dog got a hold of her while she was in heat. I also told her I would bring a dog house to Queenie the following week. I left that house that day thinking that these people don't need this dog, they don't care about her, they don't take care of  her. It's so hard to keep a positive attitude because there are so many people who don't care and won't step up to take care of their animal. But we must try to remain positive and stay out there for these animals. 
 
The following week I brought Queenie a dog house. I still had the attitude that these people don't care about this dog. I set up the dog house with some straw and gave them some treats for Queenie. I got to talking to the family and asked if they had seen any fleas and the man said he gives her a bath at least 3 times a week and hasn't seen any. I was astonished! I looked at Queenie and she did look clean. She didn't look greasy and dirty like a lot of the chained dogs we see. I applied some flea and tick meds to Queenie. I also talked to the family about bringing Queenie inside and making her part of the family. They seemed very receptive to the idea. 
 



 A few days later I went by to let the family know that I could get Queenie in for a spay this week. When I pulled up, I didn't see Queenie or her dog house, I really started to worry. I knocked on the door, and who was the first thing I saw? Queen, inside the house! I looked over and her dog house was up on the porch and her chained was gone. I was so happy that we could change the life of this dog. Sometimes it's all about education to make a difference. Queenie went in to get spayed today at S.T.O.P.P, thank you so much Dr. Mah! She is our first spay and what a successful story! She was so excited to see her family when she got home. She was taken right in the house and put to sleep on a comfy bed. 

Sometimes we get down in the dumps and get a negative attitude about people after seeing so many bad situations. But we have to think about the good ones, the ones where we were able to make a huge difference in the animal's life. Queenie gets to be an indoor dog and will never have to worry about having puppies because groups like Jade's Mission, Unleashed, and Chain of Hope are out there making a difference. We have come across so many more chained females that we need help spaying! Please consider making a donation so we can spay these girls! Please visit our website at jadesmission.org to donate. Every penny goes straight to the animals at Jade's Mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment